Thursday, August 5, 2010

Amazingly Awesome Advice


*Picture I took of the elevator buttons at an old hotel I was staying at in New Orleans*

A friend of mine on my Facebook posted a link to this article:

"On Perfect Timing: When Things Aren’t Happening Fast Enough"
http://tinybuddha.com/blog/on-perfect-timingwhen-things-arent-happening-fast-enough/

Pretty much it's about being patient and enjoying the moment instead of worrying about the future or time not moving fast enough which is exactly how I've been feeling for the last 2 years of my life. I didn't graduate college in 4 years (it was 6), I didn't have a job when I got out (still don't), I'm not in grad school, I still live with my parents, and I haven't traveled as much as I would have liked. Before I was in college I expected that by age 24 I would be in graduate school preparing for the career of my dreams. I've never had any expectations about marriage or children because I've always felt that that is something which I have little control over, something that I never felt I could ever really plan until I was in the right moment to consider it. My career, however, and other aspects of my life I thought I at least had moderate control over.

As much as it's said I don't believe people actually grasp the concept that their lives are not (and never will be) fully in there control. People who are happy with their lives aren't content because things just fell in their laps, they're happy because they took advantages of the opportunities they were surrounded by. Yes, some people have it easier than others but they still had to do something in order to arrive at their happy place. It's like that old joke where the person prays constantly to a deity asking to win the lottery. When they ask why their prayers for instant, work-free wealth aren't answered, the deity replies, "You need to buy a lottery ticket."

The "Perfect Timing..." article isn't something new, I've heard/read that type of advice before but it had been awhile and I really needed it now more than ever. Reading it was like a brief second of meditation and enlightenment. I feel less frustrated and more motivated.

My current prayers are to be more fit, learn more, read more books, and graduate school. My lottery tickets are exercising,working with a friend on a website, picking up my unread books, and studying for the GRE.

-Natalia

P.S.
I've been listening to Arcade Fire's new album "Suburbs" while writing and thinking about this blog. I felt it fit in great with how I was feeling. It's a great album for those into indie rock and only $3.99 on Amazon.com's digital downloads section! =D

2 comments:

  1. Thnx for the follow :)

    This post is old, but it really is exactly how I feel right now. My fall semester of college is about to start and I feel awful. So I guess the link should help me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMFG. It just hit me that this post is (slightly over) a year old! Wow. I hope the link does help! :) Looking back at this post it still fits into what's going on in my life 100%, just in a more positive way. =)

    ReplyDelete